Steps to Presenting Your Project at the Fall Research Conference
To present at this conference you must be an active, currently enrolled undergraduate student who participated in a UTC REU program or other UTC sponsored research program, or an undergraduate research experience off-campus during summer 2023.
- Prepare your presentation materials (between July-August 2023). Need a UTC branded poster or slide deck template? Click HERE.
- Upload your presentation materials to Symposium by ForagerOne via the submission tool by 11pm on Sunday, August 20, 2023.
- Enjoy the conference between August 24 and 25, 2023!
How to Submit/Upload Materials to the Symposium Platform
How to Submit Presentation Materials to the Virtual Conference Platform
Presentation Media Options
What is Symposium by ForagerOne?
Symposium by ForagerOne is a virtual conference platform, which will be used to facilitate the conference this year.
Symposium by ForagerOne Media Option Details
Presentation media options are listed below. Presenters will indicate the preferred media option (see options 1 and 2 below) within the conference pre-registration form.
Regardless of the option, a well-written abstract or project description (400 word maximum) must also be uploaded with the presentation media.
Option 1: PDF (poster or slide deck presentation) + optional video
Presenters who select this option will upload the following materials via the submission form (see step 3 above).
- Abstract/project description
- A PDF of the project poster or slide deck presentation. The PDF file must be not more than 10MB in size. Use Smallpdf.com or another online tool to compress your file if necessary.
- Video Link (Optional): Record a short presentation video with sound (3-15 minutes), and upload the video to YouTube. Please make the YouTube video settings as UNLISTED**. NOTE: Only YouTube links are supported. Submit video link with the Symposium submission.
See example of Option 1 here: https://symposium.foragerone.com/utk/presentations/382
Option 2: Video/Screencast only
- Abstract/project description
- Video Link: Record a short video presentation, slide deck screencast, or performance (3-15 minutes), and upload the media file to YouTube. Please make the YouTube video settings as UNLISTED**. NOTE: Only YouTube links are supported. Submit the link with the Symposium submission.
See example of Option 2 here: https://symposium.foragerone.com/bridgew/presentations/942
Regardless of the format, a well-written abstract or project description is also required (400 word maximum). This document will be displayed with presentation materials.
Abstracts( or descriptions) should contain the following information:
- A brief introduction to the project/subject area
- A hypothesis, project goal, or specific aim
- A brief description of the methods used to address the aim/goal
- Conclusions or Impact Statement regarding the body of work.
Download the Abstract Preparation Guide
Need help writing your abstract? Contact the Office for URaCE.
More Information about Presentation Materials
See Symposium tool by ForagerOne presentation examples HERE. (You should view examples before preparing your materials).
Information Regarding Copyright, Fair Use & Intellectual Property, and Research Approvals
Before you upload materials to the conference platform you should contact these resources...
- Contact the UTC Library for detailed information about copyright and fair use.
- For more information about intellectual property contact the UTC Office for Sponsored Research: [email protected].
- If your project involves research with human research participants or vertebrate animals, please reach out to [email protected]. Such projects require review by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) or the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).
Preparing your Presentation
Virtual Posters and slides should be sized for optimal screen/web viewing.
Need a UTC Fall Research Conference branded virtual poster or slide deck template? Download below: