The University’s GE0002 – Conflicts of Interest & Commitment policy requires employees to file a disclosure of outside interests and activities to help the University identify and manage conflicts between an employee’s outside interests and his or her University responsibilities.
The comprehensive outside interest disclosure (OID) form collects information regarding employee’s outside activities, interests, commitments, compensation, and foreign relationships. Collecting this data enables the University to enhance our assistance to individuals and more efficiently address federal reporting requirements.
Who is required to submit an OID form?
- All regular (benefits-eligible) faculty and staff
- All temporary adjunct faculty and staff
- All Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA), Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) and Graduate Assistant position holders
Exclusions to the OID form requirement exist only for seasonal employees, event staff, undergraduate students, and students enrolled in graduate school holding student worker (non-GA) positions.
When are employees required to complete an OID form?
All employees outlined above as being covered by this policy must complete an OID form according to the schedules below, even if no activities exist to be disclosed.
- New University employees and current University employees in a new University position must complete the form and disclose outside activities within 30 days of their effective employment date.
- University employees and researchers must complete the form and disclose outside activities annually by December 31, and then again, prior to engaging in a new outside activity (but no later than 30 days after engagement).
- Researchers must complete the form and disclose outside activities prior to commencing a sponsored project.
Employees that have not yet completed an OID form in 2022 must do so by December 31.
Instructions for completing the OID form:
- Sign in to the IRIS Web Portal with your NetID and Password
- Click on the Employee Self-Service tab
- Click on the Personal Information link
- Choose the Outside Interest Disclosure link and follow the instructions on the screen for completion. Documents may be attached as necessary.
- Need Help? Once the form has been accessed, employees can use the Help and Video buttons located within the top toolbar for additional information regarding completion of the form.
- After completing and submitting the form, it will be routed electronically through the review process.
Employees may refer to the following resource guide for additional insights and helpful information regarding the COI process: Decoding the COI Process
For full details regarding employee disclosure requirements, including types of activities that should be reported and penalties for non-compliance, please refer to the University’s GE0002 – Conflicts of Interest & Commitment policy.
We need the help of our campus leadership to reach 100% compliance by December 31!
Two options are available for departmental IRIS users to generate reports of employee OID form submissions for monitoring compliance with this important requirement.
- IRIS users may review workflow of submitted OID forms for individual employees via the ZWF_HISTORY - Workflow History by Object transaction. You must select the Employee workflow button, enter the Personnel Number in the required field and select Outside Interest Disclosure from the workflow type drown-down menu before executing the request.
- Department heads and departmental administrative support staff with IRIS access can generate a departmental report of OID form submission statuses for employees assigned to specific cost centers via the ZPR_OID_REPORT - Outside Interests Disclosure Report transaction. You must enter the Responsible Cost Center for desired groups of employees, and then select one or all OID Form Status to Include Selection options for the report.
For more resources related to completion of the form and details of OID form approval workflows, visit the IRIS outside interest disclosure help or IRIS Admin Support OID websites. You may also submit an IRIS Helpdesk Ticket to request assistance with troubleshooting issues with completion or submission of the form.
Policy related questions should be submitted to [email protected].
Thank you for your assistance in this effort.
UTC Office of Human Resources