Thank You Letters
They invested in you. Take the time to thank them.
All students who receive funds from a Foundation (donor-funded) scholarship are required to write a thank you letter to the donor(s) of the scholarship.
Recipients receive scholarship notification to their official UTC email account from the UTC Financial Aid and Scholarships Office containing the name of the donor(s) and instructions for writing the thank you letter.
Why are thank you letters required?
Most scholarships available at UTC are made possible by generous contributions from donors who believe in the importance of a college education and want to invest in the future of UTC students.
Hearing from scholarship recipients is meaningful to donors. They get a glimpse of how their gift has made a difference in the life of a student. Your words remind donors of the impact of their donation. Many donors continue to give additional scholarship funds because they know their gifts are deeply appreciated and that they are helping deserving students realize their potential.
What are some tips for writing a thank you letter?
- Thank the donor for their generosity in funding your scholarship. Tell the donor how the scholarship has made a difference in your education. Mention the name of the scholarship you received.
- Tell the donor a little about yourself. Where are you from and maybe some background on your family? What high school did you attend and what activities were you involved in there? What activities are you involved in or plan to be involved in at UTC? Why did you choose to attend UTC? What are you majoring in and why?
- Tell the donor about your goals and future plans after completing your education at UTC. What do you hope to do after graduation? What is/are your long-term career ambition(s)?
- If you are receiving a renewable scholarship and have sent a thank you letter to the donor during a previous year, give the donor an update about what has changed in your life since you wrote last.
- Pay careful attention to the grammar, spelling and organization of your letter. A well-written letter reflects favorably on you, the scholarship committee who selected you and on UTC as a whole.
What are the requirements for writing a thank you letter?
- We suggest your letter be typed. If you choose to write it by hand, be sure to write legibly.
- Sign your letter.
- All we need from you is the letter itself.
To receive your scholarship funds, you must submit your thank you letter(s) by the date indicated on your scholarship notification letter.
Thank you letters can be sent as attachments via email to us at [email protected], dropped off with the Mocs One Center at 124 University Center or sent to us via postal mail using the address below.
If you have any questions about your thank you letter, email us at [email protected].