Receiving the TN HOPE Scholarship for Summer
You can receive a full TN HOPE Scholarship (or a prorated award for part-time enrollment) in the summer as long as you meet eligibility requirements, even if you already received a full-time award in the fall and spring.
First and foremost, please remember that the TN HOPE Scholarship payment you receive is dependent on the number of credit hours you're taking that Count Towards Your Degree Program. You must be enrolled in at least six (6) Summer credit hours, that count, to receive a summer TN HOPE Scholarship. Your award amount will be based on your total summer enrollment, that counts towards your degree, as of Saturday, July 1 (refer to the Add/Drop question below). Please refer to our HOPE award amounts chart to determine how much you can receive.
Remember - Summer enrollment works the same as fall/spring in that 6-8 credit hours is 1/2-time, 9-11 credit hours is 3/4-time, and 12+ credit hours is full-time.
**IMPORTANT** We recommend that you carefully consider your current TN HOPE status, before enrolling for any summer courses, to determine what your status may be after taking those classes! Please direct any questions to the UTC Financial Aid & Scholarships Office.
When can I expect to see the award applied to my account?
If you were paid TN HOPE for Spring'23 and register for classes at UTC for Summer'23, your summer TN HOPE funds would be entered soon thereafter. They will appear as an ‘Estimated/Offered’ award and will appear as a pending financial aid credit to your account at the Bursar even though the spring grade review has not been done. If you have registered for your summer classes and you are eligible after spring grade review is completed, your scholarship will be updated as ‘Accepted’ 5-7 business days after the published date spring grades are available.
Please Note: You may require additional steps before summer TN HOPE may be applied to your account if you:
- Are a new transfer student to UTC for the summer semester,
- Are only able to register for one course at the beginning of the term due to required prerequisites.
If you fall into either of these categories, please contact the UTC Financial Aid & Scholarship Office for special assistance.
What will happen if I drop or add summer classes after my TN HOPE Scholarship has paid?
If you drop or add classes after your TN HOPE Scholarship has been paid to your account at the Bursar, your scholarship amount may decrease or increase. You will be responsible for repaying any portion of the award that is reduced if you drop courses on or before Saturday, July 1st.
Beginning Sunday, July 2nd, and thereafter, if you are enrolled full-time and drop below 12 hours (OR if you are enrolled in 6-11 hours and drop below 6 hours), you will lose eligibility for the TN HOPE scholarship for all future terms. As always, extreme personal or medical situations can be considered by appeal.
Please keep in mind that this date MAY NOT coincide with the University's Refund Policy (or HOST School's) in regards to dropping classes. Please review this refund information carefully if you choose to drop a course.
We strongly recommend that you speak with our UTC Financial Aid & Scholarships Office before you stop attending, drop any summer course(s), or totally withdraw after the term starts in May. Such an action may result in having to repay some or all of this scholarship or losing eligibility for the scholarship for ALL future terms!
Do summer classes count in my TN HOPE attempted hours and GPA?
The classes you take this summer will be counted in your TN HOPE attempted hours and your TN HOPE GPA, even if you aren't receiving the TN HOPE scholarship for the summer term (such as if you take 1-5 hours).
If you reach a review benchmark at the end of the summer term and are ineligible based on GPA or enrollment, you will not be eligible for the scholarship beginning with the fall semester. Please use our TN HOPE GPA/Hours -Tutorial to track your TN HOPE progress.
By receiving the TN HOPE over the summer, will my upcoming fall or spring award amount be reduced/affected?
So long as you continue to remain GPA eligible at the end of summer, No, neither your upcoming fall or spring award amounts would be affected.
Am I required to enroll for the summer term?
You are not required to enroll in the summer term in order to keep your TN HOPE Scholarship. The TN HOPE Scholarship program does require, however, that you meet continuous enrollment requirements throughout each fall and spring semester.
Can I Opt-Out of receiving the TN HOPE for the summer term?
Since this program's rules have changed in regards to How Long You Can Receive It, Opting Out would not traditionally be advisable UNLESS we reach out to you in regards to this option. If you have questions, please email us at [email protected].
Taking Summer Classes at Another School?
I’m taking ALL (or some) of my summer classes at another college. How can I use the TN HOPE?
Yes, students can use their TN HOPE Scholarship over the summer (or any other term) while taking classes at their local community college or university (the Host School). If ALL classes are taken at the Host school, the award is based on the type of school you attend. Please refer to our HOPE award amounts chart to determine how much you can receive. ***Again, you must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours over the entire summer to be considered & those 6 credits must count towards your degree.***
Here are the steps to apply for TN HOPE to help cover classes taken at another school:
- Be degree seeking and eligible for financial aid at UTC.
- Be enrolled as a Transient Student at the Host school (must be an eligible Host school in the state of Tennessee).
- Complete UTC’s Concurrent Enrollment Form as soon as possible, but no later than Saturday, July 1st.
- Ensure the Concurrent Enrollment Form reaches all responsible parties and is returned to UTC's Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.
- Do Not Make Any changes to the 22/23 FAFSA.
**The Deadline to submit UTC's Concurrent Enrollment Form is Saturday, JULY 1st. We have a limited timeframe in which to process summer TN HOPE Scholarship. We do not guarantee Summer TN HOPE awards when forms are submitted AFTER this date.**
Important steps in the process -
- You are responsible for the payment of any and all educational costs incurred at the Host school and will likely be required to pay the Host School before your TN HOPE Scholarship is paid to you here at UTC. TN HOPE Scholarship funds will be available as a refund to you within two weeks after the first day of your class at the Host School, assuming you do not have a previous balance here at UTC.
- Funds are not sent to the Host school. You must be set up for direct deposit through your MocsNet account or your refund will be mailed to your permanent address by the UTC Bursar's Office.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that an academic transcript from the Host school is received by UTC in a timely manner. Without a transfer transcript on file, TN HOPE Scholarship funds for future terms can be put on hold.
- You must notify UTC if you drop credit hours or withdraw completely from the Host school during the term specified as you could be required to repay funds.
I’m taking ALL (or some) of my summer classes at another college BUT I'm only enrolled 1 - 5 credit hours. How is my TN HOPE affected?
While you cannot receive TN HOPE Scholarship funds, these credit hours AND grades still count in the TN HOPE attempted hours and TN HOPE GPA. **IMPORTANT** - UTC reserves the right to cancel ANY future awards if a Host school Summer transcript is received late in the subsequent fall or spring term and you are found to be ineligible for any reason.