Kaltura Classroom - Lecture Capture
Kaltura Classroom is software that allows you to easily record classroom session. It is installed on all UTC podium computers and is capable of recording a classroom's camera feed, microphone, and computer desktop.
Steps to record
- Login to the podium computer and double-click on the Kaltura Classroom icon to open the recording application.
The Kaltura Classroom application opens, featuring a large red record button and a preview of audio and video inputs. The image below labels the key components of the interface.
- Make sure no one else is logged into Kaltura Classroom. If someone else is logged in, your recording will go to their account and it may be difficult to locate or recover. You are not required to sign in now. You will be prompted to sign in when you click the record button.
- Check your audio and video feeds. Before you begin recording, Kaltura Classroom provides a preview of the primary video source, audio source, and secondary video source.
- The primary video usually shows the classroom camera. You can click on the camera icon at the top of the preview to turn the primary video on or off, and you can click on the slider icon to choose a different camera source.
- The audio indicator should show a bouncing bluish color as you test the microphone. This indicates that audio is being received. You can turn the audio off by clicking on the audio icon at the top of the audio indicator. You can adjust your audio source by clicking on the slider icon.
- The secondary video, by default, is set to capture the computer screen. You can click on the computer screen icon at the top of the secondary video preview to turn the screen capture off. You can adjust the screen capture settings or select a different secondary video source by clicking on the slider icon.
- Click the large red Record button to begin recording. Do so only after you are confident that your video and audio settings are correct.
- After clicking the red record button, you will be prompted to sign in. Click the UTC Users button.
- Enter your UTCID and password and click Sign in.
- Your recording will begin after a 5 second countdown. Minimize the Kaltura Classroom application and begin your presentation. Do not close the application until you have stopped the recording.
- When you have finished your presentation, maximize the application and click the Stop icon when you are done recording.
- After the recording has stopped, you will be given a chance to edit the Title, description, and tags. Your User Name will already appear and cannot be changed. Click Save when you are ready to save and upload the recording.
- View your video in My Kaltura Media within Canvas.
- The newly recorded video appears at the top of your media list.
- To get the video to appear in a Canvas course, you must either:
- Publish the video to the Canvas course media gallery (Kaltura Course Space),
- Embed the video on a Canvas page.