Offered both fall and spring each year, UTC’s Teaching and Learning Institute (TLI) is a semester-long course on innovative pedagogy for faculty members who are new to UTC. Structured as a series of Canvas course modules, conversations, and hands-on design activities, this comprehensive program in engaged teaching and learning focuses on best practices in instructional design and delivery.
The class is structured as a series of Canvas course modules, online discussions, biweekly conversations, and hands-on course design activities that facilitate instructor course development and peer review of teaching materials developed during the program.
The Institute hosts biweekly gatherings for new UTC faculty to explore their teaching philosophies and best practices related to the Institute’s course modules.
At the core of the Teaching and Learning Institute is the TLI Course (Re-)Design Project which invites participants to design or revise course materials for use in existing courses or in a Canvas sandbox.
Course Modules (with Numerous Sub-Topics)
• TLI Overview: The Course (Re-)Design Project
• Overall Course Design
• Student Retention and Success: Using Canvas and Learning Technologies Effectively
• Creating Engaged and Active Learning Environments
• The Science of Learning: How Brains Learn
• Equity-Oriented Pedagogy: Utilizing the UDL Framework and Accessibility
• The Diverse Classroom: Race, Inclusion, Mental Health, First-Gen
• Experiential and Community-Based Learning
• Library-Based Learning Activities and Resources
TLI Learning Outcomes
The course learning outcomes align with values central to UTC’s strategic planning, especially transforming lives through meaningful learning experiences.
• Course Pedagogy: Design (or revise) course materials for your classes by implementing active and engaged pedagogical approaches according to current thinking and best practices in teaching innovation today.
• Diversity and Accessibility: Discuss and implement course materials that take into account best practices regarding accessibility, diversity, and inclusion.
• Learning Technologies: Integrate up-to-date learning technologies into your course (or future course).
• Community-Building: Contribute to the cohort through dialogue during group meetings, discussion board posts, and peer conversations outside of the group's synchronous sessions.
• UTC Strategic Plan: The Institute affirms and embodies the values and practices of UTC’s Strategic Plan and institutional vision for teaching and learning. TLI fosters a transformational and engaged approach to liberal arts education. UTC values that are also key to TLI include diversity, inclusion, and overall academic excellence.
For Additional Information: Contact [email protected]